Our clinic was initially set up to follow the most stringent requirements during the initial onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020, as our clinic served as the location for the Kelowna Centre for Emergency Dental Care. During this time, Kelowna General Hospital referred patients with oral health emergencies to our clinic to avoid overburdening their facility and resources. Our clinic continues to support local general dentists and work alongside Kelowna General Hospital to ensure appropriate care of patients in the community as the situation continues to change and progress.
Our two operating rooms are equipped with negative pressure systems, including HEPA filters. Our staff is well trained in infection control, including the donning and doffing of personal protective equipment, self-care, and regular cleaning and maintenance of patient areas. We have a sufficient supply of protective equipment for our staff in order to protect themselves and patients. Our infection control and personal protective equipment practices have been reviewed on-site by the appropriate engineers and health professionals from Kelowna General Hospital.
During the pandemic, patients can expect to be given specific instructions in order to meet social distancing and infection control requirements, including but not limited to:
- Receive COVID-19 pre-screening over the phone.
- Complete the “Patient Intake Form” online before coming to the office.
- Bring a mask from home to wear in the building, if you have one.
- Leave as many personal belongings at home as possible.
- Only bring an escort/companion if you are being sedated or if special circumstances apply (ex. the patient is a child).
- Health status will be re-confirmed upon arrival to ensure no symptoms or high risk of COVID-19 infection. This includes a list of questions as well as taking your temperature.
- Use hand sanitizer upon entry and exit of the clinic.
- Maintain physical distancing (2 meters) when possible in the clinic.
We appreciate your patience with these increased infection control measures. If you have any questions or would like additional detail regarding these policies, please let us know.